24-HOUR NORM/TENORM RSO FOR OPERATORS (NON-DECON)
Class size: Minimum of 4 attendees/Maximum of 20 attendees
COURSE DESCRIPTION AND COVERED SUBJECTS
The 24-HOUR NORM/TENORM RSO TRAINING FOR OPERATORS (NON-DECON) course is designed to provide an in-depth, thorough examination into regulations and requirements for the states that the attendees operate within. The course is a three (3) day course, and is designed to provide operators/producers and general contractors with necessary information on the requirements for decontamination service companies, regulatory requirements, and best management practices. The individuals who participate in this level of training are typically supervisors or managers of operators, producers, facilities and other energy companies, as well as general contractors. The course is also recommended for those individuals who may be tasked with the NORM/TENORM Radiation Protection Plan and policy within their company, such as safety and environmental personnel. The course provides the necessary knowledge and practical abilities required to implement and monitor a Radiation Protection Program and to provide on-site control and supervision during work activities involving NORM/TENORM. Additionally, NORM/TENORM Waste Management Programs, Respiratory Protection and Regulatory Compliance issues are discussed in detail.
THIS COURSE IS DESIGNED FOR NON-DECONTAMINATION PERSONNEL, AND DOES NOT MEET THE STATE REQUIREMENTS FOR OBTAINING A NORM/TENORM DECONTAMINATION LICENSE. Specifically licensed companies are required to have 40-hour RSO training that is extensive and specific to Naturally Occurring Radioactive Material to provide NORM/TENORM decontamination services. At this time, the 24-HOUR RSO FOR OPERATORS is only provided as closed-classes for one (1) company’s workforce. This format enables the course to follow company policies and other company specific requirements. The 24-HOUR RSO FOR OPERATORS does not include the Transportation of NORM/TENORM portion of the traditional 40-HOUR RSO course.
Students, who successfully pass the exam, will be trained as Radiation Safety Officers (NON-DECON). This course includes, but is not limited to, the following subjects:
- Introduction to NORM/TENORM and Atomic Theory
- Radiation Contamination & Emergency Actions
- Biological Effects of Radiation & Sources
- Survey Instrumentation and Federal Regulation
- Performing Radiation & Contamination Surveys
- Minimizing Exposure Including to an Unborn Child
- State Regulations (Based on Client’s Operations)
- Radiation Protection Programs
- Legal Responsibilities & Liability Minimization
- Respiratory Protection & Personnel Monitoring
- RSO Responsibilities, Problems & Solutions
- Survey Documentation Requirements
- Risks Associated with Radiation Exposure
- Waste Management Programs & Disposal Options
- ALI & DAC (Air Monitoring)
The RSO course follows the course outlines as required by the Texas Department of State Health Services, New Mexico Environment Department and the Louisiana Department of Environmental Quality. NORM/TENORM Surveyor training should be renewed every twelve (12) months to show applicable knowledge in current surveying techniques, and is included in the RSO course.